About Me

My photo
I'm a reader who enjoys posting comments and recommendations about the books I read. You will not find a synopsis with my recommendations because you can just click on the book title for a link to www.goodreads.com for a synopsis and reviews by other readers. I prefer the 3 Reason format: the reason I chose to read it; the reason I liked (or disliked) the book; and the reason I recommend it.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

I wanted to be the princess

http://daytonartinstitute.org/exhibits/exh_Diana_main.html#

I could not get a picture from this exhibit into my blog but I got this website in case you don't know what exhibit to which I'm referring.
My sister-in-law was once so interested in Diana and her wedding, that she had a doll on display with a replica wedding gown. We made some tentative plans to attend the exhibit together. Her schedule interfered with her viewing the original.
My daughter-in-law, her sisters and mother went to the exhibit on their way to her baby shower a month ago. The exhibit was crowded because that day was Mother's Day and many mothers must have asked to go for a special treat. They liked it and compared it to the Jackie Onassis fashion exhibit that had been in Chicago.
I went to see it another busy day (only 3 days before closing). When I was asked how I liked it, my first response was, "It was OK. I liked seeing the tiara, the coronet, the jewelry, the wedding dress and all the other clothing. Yeah, it was OK." I've been giving some thought to why it was just OK and I decided that it was because,
"I want to be the princess."
I want to try on the tiara.
I want to try on the bracelets.
I want to try on the dresses and prance around in them.

OK, Security would probably have a fit at that suggestion but it really would have been fun to line up with the tiara display and have my face reflected back at me as if I were wearing it. The mannequins were faceless or headless, so why not have my face there? I think that every woman and girl in that line would have agreed with me.
The technology for truly interactive museum experiences get better all the time as the Lord of the Ring exhibit at Indiana State Museum and the Star Trek exhibit at Las Vegas Hilton set my standards quite high. The catalog of the exhibit could have been a low-tech interactive experience: I would have preferred a book of paper dolls.

But that's just Our opinion,
Princess Nasy-poo

No comments: