About Me

My photo
I'm a reader who enjoys posting comments and recommendations about the books I read. You will not find a synopsis with my recommendations because you can just click on the book title for a link to www.goodreads.com for a synopsis and reviews by other readers. I prefer the 3 Reason format: the reason I chose to read it; the reason I liked (or disliked) the book; and the reason I recommend it.

Tuesday, February 04, 2014

Sailing Alone Around the World (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)Sailing Alone Around the World by Joshua Slocum
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This classic was free when I downloaded it to my Nook, and it has been shelved with Classics. This was the perfect book to read on my own sea voyage for
To find one's way to lands already discovered is a good thing, and the Spray made the discovery that even the worst sea is not so terrible to a well-appointed ship.


Slocum's telling of his adventures were polished by the lectures he gave along the way to finance supplies and repairs. His writing style was influenced by Mark Twain and Robert Louis Stevenson. I enjoy true adventure biographies, and the technology of an ebook that can quickly take me from glossary and endnotes with a fingertip touch and back into the story helps me enjoy a book written 114 years ago.

Another favorite quote is
To succeed however, in anything at all, one should go understandingly about his work and be prepared for every emergency.


View all my reviews

No comments: