About Me

My photo
I'm a reader who enjoys posting comments and recommendations about the books I read. You will not find a synopsis with my recommendations because you can just click on the book title for a link to www.goodreads.com for a synopsis and reviews by other readers. I prefer the 3 Reason format: the reason I chose to read it; the reason I liked (or disliked) the book; and the reason I recommend it.

Monday, November 11, 2019

Indistractable: How to Control Your Attention and Choose Your LifeIndistractable: How to Control Your Attention and Choose Your Life by Nir   Eyal
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I was attracted to the title because when I do research for my hobby of genealogy, I am often distracted by what my fellow genealogists call BSO-Bright, Shiny Objects-that we often find, are curious about, and follow a trail for hours while the original task remains incomplete. It is usually because the original task is rather boring (trigger for discomfort) documentation which needs done; but it does not satisfy my curiosity the way new information does (reward).
I learned a lot from this book about internal triggers, external triggers, and ways to acknowledge what my priorities really are.
I recommend it to all readers because I believe all readers can recognize we have more opportunities for distractions and others who try to hold our attention for longer than we might chose to let them (in the words of newscasters, more after these messages.)


View all my reviews

No comments: