About Me

My photo
I'm a reader who enjoys posting comments and recommendations about the books I read. You will not find a synopsis with my recommendations because you can just click on the book title for a link to www.goodreads.com for a synopsis and reviews by other readers. I prefer the 3 Reason format: the reason I chose to read it; the reason I liked (or disliked) the book; and the reason I recommend it.

Thursday, November 14, 2019

What Rose ForgotWhat Rose Forgot by Nevada Barr
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I read this despite a friend who told me she was confused by the content and she did not like it. I understand part of her objections: it is written with more stream of consciousness than other books by Barr, plus the stream of consciousness narration may be unreliable. Is the unreliability because Rose has Alzeheimer's or because Rose has been drugged by someone unknown to her for unknown reasons? I also think my friend was also confused by many of the allusions used by Rose while she is thinking and many of the shorthand communication between Rose and Mel that is never fully explained in the text. Because I am the same age as Rose, I think I was more likely to understand some of the tv and movie references than my friend was. For example, I was an avid watcher of Kung Fu so I understood the terms of affection when Rose calls Mel, Grasshopper, and when Mel calls her Gigi Rinpoche as being between student and elder teacher.
I recommend this book because I enjoyed it.


View all my reviews

No comments: