About Me

My photo
I'm a reader who enjoys posting comments and recommendations about the books I read. You will not find a synopsis with my recommendations because you can just click on the book title for a link to www.goodreads.com for a synopsis and reviews by other readers. I prefer the 3 Reason format: the reason I chose to read it; the reason I liked (or disliked) the book; and the reason I recommend it.

Friday, October 01, 2010

Ramona (Signet Classics)Ramona by Helen Hunt Jackson

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I heard of this book while researching Colorado Springs for the author, Helen Hunt Jackson, lived there. This book was published in 1884 and has been made into two movies. Mary Pickford was Ramona in 1910, and Loretta Young played the role in 1936. Neither versions are available through Netflix at this time.

Before young girls had the debate of Edward or Jacob, young women could be torn by thoughts of Alessandro or Felipe. The popularity of its romantic entertainment overshadowed the author's intention of writing a book that had the same impact of Uncle Tom's Cabin to change treatment of Indians and Mexicans and their property rights when government boundaries changed.

This historical book is worth reading and discussing.



View all my reviews

No comments: