About Me

My photo
I'm a reader who enjoys posting comments and recommendations about the books I read. You will not find a synopsis with my recommendations because you can just click on the book title for a link to www.goodreads.com for a synopsis and reviews by other readers. I prefer the 3 Reason format: the reason I chose to read it; the reason I liked (or disliked) the book; and the reason I recommend it.

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Who We Were: A Snapshot History of AmericaWho We Were: A Snapshot History of America by Michael Williams

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


I like the concept of this book: the USA history as depicted by snapshots of ordinary people, right there, right then. I was not fond of the execution of the concept but I don't know that I could do better selecting snapshots from the sources they chose.

The last snapshot of the book is compelling. It was taken by an astronaut who photographed a snapshot of his family he left on the moon.

This last snapshot was taken in 1972, 37 years before this book was published. To end the book so far away from current history reminded me too much of outdated school history textbooks and teachers who never got to the Korean conflict even though our country was in the midst of the Vietnam War. It left me feeling frustrated because it seems inadequate as a history book and it seems inadequate as an art book to spark creativity in those who read it.



View all my reviews

No comments: