About Me

My photo
I'm a reader who enjoys posting comments and recommendations about the books I read. You will not find a synopsis with my recommendations because you can just click on the book title for a link to www.goodreads.com for a synopsis and reviews by other readers. I prefer the 3 Reason format: the reason I chose to read it; the reason I liked (or disliked) the book; and the reason I recommend it.

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Soviet Deserts and Mountains (World's Wild Places)Soviet Deserts and Mountains by George St. George

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Although the political boundaries changes since I added this book to my home library, the desert, foothill and mountain wilderness still forms a geographical bridge between the Middle East and Far East. I enjoyed the text by George St. George as much as I enjoyed the pictures of a region:
"After about three miles, however, the novelty of walking in a glacial riverbed began to pall. I was drenched and my shoes were falling apart. I am an adventurous type--I spent my youth tramping over the Siberian tundra--the the Bartang crack was, as far as I was concerned strictly for cockroaches."
And yet, he finds the answer of why people would live in such inhospitable wilderness: freedom.



View all my reviews

No comments: