About Me

My photo
I'm a reader who enjoys posting comments and recommendations about the books I read. You will not find a synopsis with my recommendations because you can just click on the book title for a link to www.goodreads.com for a synopsis and reviews by other readers. I prefer the 3 Reason format: the reason I chose to read it; the reason I liked (or disliked) the book; and the reason I recommend it.

Monday, February 21, 2011

Stones into Schools: Promoting Peace with Books, Not Bombs, in Afghanistan and PakistanStones into Schools: Promoting Peace with Books, Not Bombs, in Afghanistan and Pakistan by Greg Mortenson

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Please read this book for a reason to feel good about the work that the Central Asia Institute is doing to help people who want to provide education for their girls in the midst of extreme conditions on this planet. A remark made about the school in Wakhan Kirghiz was "In place of our help, what they needed most was the sense of empowerment that comes from knowing that they had done it on their own."

"When you take the time to actually listen, with humility, to what people have to say, it's amazing what you can learn. Especially if the people who are doing the talking also happen to be children." When they listened to the story of Farzana, she told them about the need for desks to be included in the schools for the children to feel safe and with the desks the tents feel like schools.



View all my reviews

No comments: