About Me

My photo
I'm a reader who enjoys posting comments and recommendations about the books I read. You will not find a synopsis with my recommendations because you can just click on the book title for a link to www.goodreads.com for a synopsis and reviews by other readers. I prefer the 3 Reason format: the reason I chose to read it; the reason I liked (or disliked) the book; and the reason I recommend it.

Sunday, May 15, 2011

The FrontiersmenThe Frontiersmen by Allan W. Eckert

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


The Frontiersmen provides the factual history of the opening for white settlers of territories that would become the states of Kentucky, Ohio and Indiana in the United States of America in a readable narrative form. Limiting the history to the lifespan of Simon Kenton gives this book a focus and still allows stories about Daniel Boone, George Rogers Clark, Simon Girty, Tecumseh, the Prophet and Blue Jacket to be told. Military adventures of Arthur St. Clair, Mad Anthony Wayne, William Henry Harrison, and Oliver Hazard Perry are included. The book provides maps, chapter lists, list of Indian characters, glossary of Shawnee words and phrases, and an index.

While it is an enjoyable read, it also requires a lot of effort to recall all the persons mentioned in the scenes. A good index is helpful.



View all my reviews

No comments: