About Me

My photo
I'm a reader who enjoys posting comments and recommendations about the books I read. You will not find a synopsis with my recommendations because you can just click on the book title for a link to www.goodreads.com for a synopsis and reviews by other readers. I prefer the 3 Reason format: the reason I chose to read it; the reason I liked (or disliked) the book; and the reason I recommend it.

Monday, August 29, 2011

Secret Corners of the World (Special Publications Series 17, No. 1)Secret Corners of the World by National Geographic Society

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Even 29 years after publication, this book brings enthusiasm for exploration to its readers with the text of Mary Ann Harrell, Victor Englebert, James R. McCauley, Leslie Allen, James Billipp, Tor Eigeland, and Noel Grove and photographs by Victor Englebert, Roland Michaud, Sabrina Michaud, Sam Abell, James Billipp, Tor Eigeland, and James A. Sugar. The text and photographs bring the reader a sense of this is what it was like at this moment. The secret corners are The Marquesas, Northern Afghanistan, Tierra del Fuego, The Santa Martas, The Alpujarras, and The Ruwenzori. I wonder how much about these places have changed. The text about Northern Afghanistan is a second-person account for the area was at war with USSR when this was written. I'm sure there have been changes since that war and now our war.



View all my reviews

No comments: