About Me

My photo
I'm a reader who enjoys posting comments and recommendations about the books I read. You will not find a synopsis with my recommendations because you can just click on the book title for a link to www.goodreads.com for a synopsis and reviews by other readers. I prefer the 3 Reason format: the reason I chose to read it; the reason I liked (or disliked) the book; and the reason I recommend it.

Saturday, October 15, 2011

14 Oct. 2011 Chateau de Peyrepertuse

Today we are on the road to the Chateau de Peyrepertuse.
It is in a mountainous region with many switchbacks as the road goes around the mountains, down through canyons, and back up again.

Peyrepertuse has been occupied since Roman times from the start of the first century B.C. The first mention of the castle is in 1070. It was important for defense in the Crusades against the Albigineons. The Albigineons lost and Guillaume de Peyperpertuse was excommunicated in 1224. It became a French possession in 1240. It was important for defense of the border with Aragon and Spain from 1258-1659 , and it had dungeons there.

The Chateau is laid out upon a limestone ridge at a height of 800 meters (2,624 feet) above the scrubland ecosystem of this area. We drive up this mountain until we reach the parking area for the ticket office. With our admission fee, we receive the map and audio-guide to use while we continue on foot.

Visits are forbidden during storms and high wind conditions. Steps are slippery, even on the best days. Climbing was an adventure.
I think this is my favorite place for I love the panoramic views of this area. Peyrepertuse is a place of history that is told by troubadors and heard by the imagination of we who experience its vision.

No comments: