About Me

My photo
I'm a reader who enjoys posting comments and recommendations about the books I read. You will not find a synopsis with my recommendations because you can just click on the book title for a link to www.goodreads.com for a synopsis and reviews by other readers. I prefer the 3 Reason format: the reason I chose to read it; the reason I liked (or disliked) the book; and the reason I recommend it.

Saturday, September 22, 2012

Writing Away: A Creative Guide to Awakening the Journal-Writing TravelerWriting Away: A Creative Guide to Awakening the Journal-Writing Traveler by Lavinia Spalding
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

When I finished reading the book, I gave it three stars because I thought it was a nice enough book but I did not see how it might improve the travel journals I already keep and I did not see why I might need an additional journal for the travel when I keep a daily one.
Well, I was wrong. I used some of her suggestions during a 17-day road trip and I can barely contain my extra journal within its rubber strap. I especially liked her suggestion for a three-column list with the headings of Date/Destination/Discovery. She suggests adding plastic blunt edge scissors (all the better to get through TSA), tape and archival glue to your journal accessories, and I found myself taping items from brochures as natural sidebars.
I recommend this book for those who already keep journals and for those who might want to give it a try. You don't have to use all her suggestions; just the ones you feel comfortable doing.

View all my reviews

No comments: