About Me

My photo
I'm a reader who enjoys posting comments and recommendations about the books I read. You will not find a synopsis with my recommendations because you can just click on the book title for a link to www.goodreads.com for a synopsis and reviews by other readers. I prefer the 3 Reason format: the reason I chose to read it; the reason I liked (or disliked) the book; and the reason I recommend it.

Friday, March 22, 2013

Market Upside DownMarket Upside Down by Vinh Q. Tran
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Market Upside Down was free when I downloaded it for my Nook. It was recommended by the commenter Spec.

This book has a good explanation of the 2008 recession and of other recessions before it. Tran describes why it will be difficult to get out of this mess.
From record government budget deficits to overleveraging in the household and financial sectors, from the unprecedented national debt burden to trade deficits and reliance on foreign countries for debt financing, from a deteriorated domestic manufacturing base, and low personal savings to a weakened world economy, the United States has little flexibility to repair its economy and return to a healthy growth rate.

Tran suggests an Absolute Return Approach and asset allocation strategy that is designed to provide liquidity and income and preserve capital. I agree with his recommendation for a fixed income portfolio. I drawback at his suggestion to use hedge funds to minimize risks for these may be available only to accredited investors. These also are more difficult to withdraw funds plus there is less transparency in accounting and reporting to investors.


View all my reviews

No comments: