About Me

My photo
I'm a reader who enjoys posting comments and recommendations about the books I read. You will not find a synopsis with my recommendations because you can just click on the book title for a link to www.goodreads.com for a synopsis and reviews by other readers. I prefer the 3 Reason format: the reason I chose to read it; the reason I liked (or disliked) the book; and the reason I recommend it.

Thursday, August 17, 2006

A Visit from a College Friend

My friend, Norma, visited yesterday. I keep in touch with her and two other women from my university days. We talked for ten hours! Her summer vacation went by too fast: she visited family out-of-state and she went to her high school alumni reunion. Next week she returns to school for her 33rd year but with a different position as a fourth grade language arts teacher.
When we weren't talking or looking at pictures, we ate some good food. For our lunch, I picked the local tea room which has delicious home-made pies. I had the cherry pie ala mode and Norma had the peanut butter pie. I cooked supper, and the menu was glazed salmon filet, sesame-flavored asparagus, and roasted sweet potato cider salad served with Le Rime blend of reisling and pinot grigiot.
Host and I wanted to watch the finale of So You Think You Can Dance. She quickly learned that we could not decide between Heidi, Travis or Benji to win. Congratulations, Benji!

This recipe is from Eating for IBS by Heather Van Vorous.
Roasted Sweet Potato Cider Salad
Makes 4 servings

1-1/2 pounds sweet potatoes (about 2 large) peeled, quartered lengthwise
1 Tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
2 Tablespoons scallions, finely diced
3 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1/8 teaspoon salt
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place sweet potatoes in large baking dish, drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil, and toss potatoes until evenly coated. Cover pan (with foil or lid) and bake 20 minutes. Uncover pan, turn potatoes and bake uncovered until tender and golden brown, about 15 -20 minutes. Cool potatoes and chop into bite-size pieces. Transfer to serving bowl. Whisk vinegar with remaining teaspoon of oil and salt. Pour over potatoes, add scallions, and stir gently until well combined.

No comments: