About Me

My photo
I'm a reader who enjoys posting comments and recommendations about the books I read. You will not find a synopsis with my recommendations because you can just click on the book title for a link to www.goodreads.com for a synopsis and reviews by other readers. I prefer the 3 Reason format: the reason I chose to read it; the reason I liked (or disliked) the book; and the reason I recommend it.

Monday, January 11, 2010

American Photographers and The National Parks

My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Robert Cahn's essay, "Evolving Together: Photography and the National Park Idea" and Robert Glenn Ketchum's "Curatorial Viewpoints and Observations" are worth reading even if you do as I did, only enjoy the plates printed in this Studio Book for the first nineteen years of your ownership of this book.
I agree with Cahn's statement,
With photography now achieving recognition as the art that it is, the close relationship landscape photographers have had with the parks remains important. It may inded be that the photographs taken in the parks in the coming century will, as they have in the past one hundred years, move the public to insist that this emblem of their natural heritage, the national park idea, must remain able to withstand the pressures exerted by technology and devolpment. Americans will thus continue to support the goal enunciated in the 1916 National Park Act that the parks must be left unimpaired for the enjoyment of future generations.

This book is one way of owning plates by William Henry Jackson, Eadward J. Muybridge, Carleton E. Watkins, Timothy O'Sullivan, William Bell, John K. Hillers, George Fiske, Anne Brigman, Imogen Cunningham, Laura Gilpin Edward Weston, Ansel Adams, Eliot Porter, Minor White, Brett Weston, Jerry N. Uelsmann, Michael A. Smith, Charles V. Janda, Don Worth, William Garnett, Robert Glenn Ketchum, Dave Bohn, Paul Caponigro, Harry Callahan, Joel Meyerowitz, Lee Friedlander, William Clift, Linda Connor, Boone Morrison, David Mussina, Roger Minick, Ted Orland, Roger Misrach, John Pfahl, and Gail Skoff.


View all my reviews >>

No comments: