About Me

My photo
I'm a reader who enjoys posting comments and recommendations about the books I read. You will not find a synopsis with my recommendations because you can just click on the book title for a link to www.goodreads.com for a synopsis and reviews by other readers. I prefer the 3 Reason format: the reason I chose to read it; the reason I liked (or disliked) the book; and the reason I recommend it.

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Newest pharmacy staff member

This is the newest addition to the staff of the corporate pharmacy where my husband works. This robot replaces the Baker Cell Counting system. 120 drugs are stored in it until a scanned prescription has been checked by a human. The human uses the computer system to cue the robot to count, place in a vial and label. Up to three labeled vials, at a time, are ready for the human staff to check, scan, place in the bag ready to sell it to the customer.




What the robot does not do is ease the stressful aspects of pharmacy work these days. Some things this robot cannot do:

explain why the doctor's office staff has not yet phoned or transmitted your prescription information;
explain why your co-pay is so high;
explain why your insurance company will no longer pay for a drug it paid for last month;
explain why it can't answer the drive-up window while human staff is occupied on the telephone or with in-store customers;
and explain why the federal government won't make those things any better.

No comments: