About Me

My photo
I'm a reader who enjoys posting comments and recommendations about the books I read. You will not find a synopsis with my recommendations because you can just click on the book title for a link to www.goodreads.com for a synopsis and reviews by other readers. I prefer the 3 Reason format: the reason I chose to read it; the reason I liked (or disliked) the book; and the reason I recommend it.

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Start Strong, Finish StrongStart Strong, Finish Strong by Kenneth H. Cooper
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

My copy of a different one of Cooper's books,The New Aerobics, was published in 1970(and sold for $1.95 in paperback.) I decided to look for more recent aerobic conditioning information for those of us who are over 60 because my old book gives it for age 50 and over.

Start Strong, Finish Strong says strength training needs to be half of my fitness regime now in order to prevent any further, fast-paced decline in muscle weakness and muscle loss. Aerobic points charts are still included, with the goal of reaching a 15 point/week minimal fitness level or a 35 point/week advanced fitness level. I found the chart for "Cooper Fitness Circuit Training Program" and the 30-60-90 plan for weight-loss useful. Early chapters are discussions of how to find your mature adult motivations for starting this program and sticking to it. There is a chapter about how the aerobic exercise can help you cope with stress and another chapter that lends support to those who may have a depression after stress or any number of life's setbacks.

I recommend this book to every adult reader for even if you don't need it now, you may need it later. Even if you don't need it now, you know someone you love who needs it now.

View all my reviews

No comments: