About Me

My photo
I'm a reader who enjoys posting comments and recommendations about the books I read. You will not find a synopsis with my recommendations because you can just click on the book title for a link to www.goodreads.com for a synopsis and reviews by other readers. I prefer the 3 Reason format: the reason I chose to read it; the reason I liked (or disliked) the book; and the reason I recommend it.

Thursday, March 27, 2014

Silencing the Women: The Witch Trials of Mary Bliss ParsonsSilencing the Women: The Witch Trials of Mary Bliss Parsons by Kathy-Ann Becker
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Silencing the Women: The Witch Trials of Mary Bliss Parsons was written by a friend who has done what many genealogists and family historians aspire to do: publish a book about an interesting ancestor who wants to be found.

The style the author uses is biographical fiction. She uses dialogue to move the story along in scenes. The prayers of Mary Bliss Parsons are in italic font. I was quickly pulled into the author's story in the prologue and into Mary Parsons' story in chapter 1. The book also contains an historical epilogue, a four-page bibliography, and a descendants chart.

This 17th-century woman's story is relevant to the 21st century when we consider the dangers of gossip which seeks to find blame when events cannot be explained. Gossip can destroy work relationships, reputations, and still inflame communities.

I recommend this book to all readers. In addition to genealogists and family historians, I recommend this book to readers of 17th-century romances (she did bear 13 children), to readers of Christian fiction for Mary Parsons was devout, and to readers of womens studies literature for Mary Bliss Parsons has a story to tell from another culture and another time.

View all my reviews

No comments: