About Me

My photo
I'm a reader who enjoys posting comments and recommendations about the books I read. You will not find a synopsis with my recommendations because you can just click on the book title for a link to www.goodreads.com for a synopsis and reviews by other readers. I prefer the 3 Reason format: the reason I chose to read it; the reason I liked (or disliked) the book; and the reason I recommend it.

Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked UsSalt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us by Michael Moss
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I read this book on the recommendation of a friend who shares a concern about trying to eat healthful foods, and I am glad I did. I do not add salt to food when I cook because I know DH will salt food before tasting, and yet when I track foods with an app that stores data from labels, my sodium levels often exceeded recommended levels by the end of the day. Now that I read labels for more than calories/serving, I see canned peas has 380mg sodium with sugar and salt added during the canning process.
I find this book discouraging and disheartening because the investigative reporting by Michael Moss reveals how many nutritional scientists are working to find bliss points so that the processed food will be craved and so many marketing people are eager to use words to allow me to think concentrated fruit juice might be a healthful choice.
All readers MUST read this book!


View all my reviews

No comments: