About Me

My photo
I'm a reader who enjoys posting comments and recommendations about the books I read. You will not find a synopsis with my recommendations because you can just click on the book title for a link to www.goodreads.com for a synopsis and reviews by other readers. I prefer the 3 Reason format: the reason I chose to read it; the reason I liked (or disliked) the book; and the reason I recommend it.

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Sandia Peak Tramway and Trails


The high wind warning ended at 8PM the previous day. We were ready for the first flight of the tramway. The elevation of the tram began at 6559 feet and 15 minutes later we were at 10,378 feet. In 15 minutes, we covered life zones similar to traveling from Mexico to Alaska. The Forest Service had displays interpreting these eco-zones: grasslands, pinon-juniper woodlands; Pine Oak woodlands; mixed conifer; Crest Alpine belt; and Riparian zones.

Some photos are from the decks that connect the tramway and the restaurant building.
We headed north for pictures along the North Crest trail. The views were breath-taking. I just was not too sure if my rapid breathing was from the anxiety I felt when a gust of wind made me aware of the narrowness of the trail on the ridge, or if I simply was not acclimated to the higher altitude.

The Nature Trail had frequent interpretive signs and much more snow in areas protected from the wind and sunshine. I finally had to put my camera away while I scampered over the snow by the large trees.

The South Crest trail had even more snow and we did not hike far on it. We settled for the few pictures of the ski trails.

We ate lunch at High Finance, the restaurant at the top. Beer-battered onion rings were the appetizer, and the salmon club sandwich was large enough to share. Grilled salmon was served on foccaccio and adorned with provolone cheese, avocado, and applewood bacon plus onion, pickles, tomatoes and lettuce. Don enjoys trying specialty margaritas, and I had a glass of Jekel reisling.

A western tanager provided us with some entertainment while we waited for the next tram. It caught a moth and then beat the moth against the pavement until a wing tore loose from the moth. The tanager flipped the moth over and repeated the process until the other wing fell off. Then the tanager ate the body of the moth. I have no pictures of this.

VIEW MORE PICTURES, CLICK 12 May 2010 Sandia Peak Tramway and Trails

No comments: