About Me

My photo
I'm a reader who enjoys posting comments and recommendations about the books I read. You will not find a synopsis with my recommendations because you can just click on the book title for a link to www.goodreads.com for a synopsis and reviews by other readers. I prefer the 3 Reason format: the reason I chose to read it; the reason I liked (or disliked) the book; and the reason I recommend it.

Saturday, May 08, 2010

Across China Across China by Peter Jenkins


My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Armchair traveling at its best: I could imagine riding in a truck driven by Parnelli Yak on a mountainous Tibetan road; I could imagine listening to the stories told to introductions of the members of the climbing team; I could imagine the relief of finding my interpreter-guide Ran Ying; I could imagine the frustration of being directed to what was allowed to be seen; and, I can imagine pleasure of the unique experiences Jenkins had when he met the people of Mongolia and China. And I did not have to eat the strange food, feel awkward while using the facilities, or rest in a hard sleeper on a train journey.

View all my reviews >>

No comments: