About Me

My photo
I'm a reader who enjoys posting comments and recommendations about the books I read. You will not find a synopsis with my recommendations because you can just click on the book title for a link to www.goodreads.com for a synopsis and reviews by other readers. I prefer the 3 Reason format: the reason I chose to read it; the reason I liked (or disliked) the book; and the reason I recommend it.

Friday, July 01, 2011

The Last LectureThe Last Lecture by Randy Pausch

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


This book is thought-provoking and a great reminder to get our life in order. If you don't take the time to read the book, take the time to watch his Last Lecture video on YouTube.



For those reviewers who criticized his suggestion to always carry $200 in cash, I think this lesson is one of his "head fake" lessons, and it is about always feeling an abundance and a symbol of confidence in your resources. These resources don't have to be financial only; the money is a symbol of a resource. I remember wearing first dimes, then quarters in my "penny" loafers so that I would always have enough money to use the pay phone. (Good luck finding a pay phone these days.) Anyway, he is not the first writer to suggest something similar. I have read other writers who suggest keeping the equivalent of your take-home pay as your checking account balance so that you have visual proof that you are not living paycheck-to-paycheck. I guess I don't understand why this lesson attracts more criticsm than his lesson about winning large stuffed animals at carnivals.



View all my reviews

No comments: