About Me

My photo
I'm a reader who enjoys posting comments and recommendations about the books I read. You will not find a synopsis with my recommendations because you can just click on the book title for a link to www.goodreads.com for a synopsis and reviews by other readers. I prefer the 3 Reason format: the reason I chose to read it; the reason I liked (or disliked) the book; and the reason I recommend it.

Saturday, November 19, 2011

The Compass of Pleasure: How Our Brains Make Fatty Foods, Orgasm, Exercise, Marijuana, Generosity, Vodka, Learning, and Gambling Feel So GoodThe Compass of Pleasure: How Our Brains Make Fatty Foods, Orgasm, Exercise, Marijuana, Generosity, Vodka, Learning, and Gambling Feel So Good by David J. Linden

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


The title of this book is a synopsis of itself. Linden interprets recent findings from neuroscience research papers for the rest of us. Yet, I don't recommend this for a general audience because he is still specific about neuro transmitters, substrates,receptors, and the research done by others that some readers may lose interest. I appreciate that he read these papers on my behalf and offers his conclusions. He does not overreach with solutions for us humans when he suggests that we would be healthier if we avoided highly processed food engineered to make us crave it for only 40 days of rats eating tested diet is necessary for them to need three times more to get the same level of pleasure from eating. Forty days is about the time from our Thanksgiving feast through out New Year's celebrations.



View all my reviews

No comments: