About Me

My photo
I'm a reader who enjoys posting comments and recommendations about the books I read. You will not find a synopsis with my recommendations because you can just click on the book title for a link to www.goodreads.com for a synopsis and reviews by other readers. I prefer the 3 Reason format: the reason I chose to read it; the reason I liked (or disliked) the book; and the reason I recommend it.

Tuesday, November 01, 2011

On Secret ServiceOn Secret Service by John Jakes

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


On Secret Service has been in my home library on the Civil War historical fiction shelf for nearly eleven years. I bought it because I like historical fiction and because I respect the work John Jakes did with his Kent Family Chronicles and the North and South Trilogy.

Remembering these series as I did probably kept this book on the shelf this long. I remember a weakness of Mr. Jakes was the similarity of the plot on which he built his story that is supported by historical facts. Too often he used rape as a plot point, and he did not use it this time. Still, the generic characters often have similar experiences from book to book: female characters are often assaulted by leering bad guys; male protagonists impulsively kiss and are overcome by passion; and villains have visible scars.

This book is recommended for readers who overlook (or enjoy) formulaic plots as long as the story keeps moving.



View all my reviews

No comments: