About Me

My photo
I'm a reader who enjoys posting comments and recommendations about the books I read. You will not find a synopsis with my recommendations because you can just click on the book title for a link to www.goodreads.com for a synopsis and reviews by other readers. I prefer the 3 Reason format: the reason I chose to read it; the reason I liked (or disliked) the book; and the reason I recommend it.

Thursday, June 14, 2012

The Winds of Khalakovo (Lays of Anuskaya, #1)The Winds of Khalakovo by Bradley P. Beaulieu
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This was Free Friday selection May 27, 2011, and it is no longer free. I like Free Fridays from the Nook store at BN.com so that I may try new-to-me authors and genres different from my favorites.
This fantasy novel will be more for readers who enjoy Russian literature more than I do. There is a cast of characters at the beginning of the book, and yet there is not a list of all the family names and nicknames associated with that character. As with Russian literature, there were times I had to wonder if I was being introduced to a new character or a new name for a previously introduced character. I also would like a glossary for the words different from my world, such as those of the many spirits. The author does not build a world for the reader as much as the reader is placed in a different world.
This book gets 3 stars from me because I do not want to discourage a new reader from trying this if fantasy is a preferred genre.

View all my reviews

No comments: