About Me

My photo
I'm a reader who enjoys posting comments and recommendations about the books I read. You will not find a synopsis with my recommendations because you can just click on the book title for a link to www.goodreads.com for a synopsis and reviews by other readers. I prefer the 3 Reason format: the reason I chose to read it; the reason I liked (or disliked) the book; and the reason I recommend it.

Saturday, August 26, 2017

 Half Truths: God Helps Those Who Help Themselves and Other Things the Bible Doesn't SayHalf Truths: God Helps Those Who Help Themselves and Other Things the Bible Doesn't Say by Adam Hamilton
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book was read and recommended by a Goodreads friend, and it intrigued me because advice given to me has often come to me as several of these five half-truths, and I have often repeated the same cliches when I was at a loss for words to others.
The five half-truths discussed in this book are:
1. Everything happens for a reason.
2. God helps those who help themselves.
3. God won't give you more than you can handle.
4.God said it, I believe it, That settles it.
5. Love the sinner, hate the sin.
Hamilton analyzes the half-truth for Biblical verses that others might use to support it, suggests some different interpretations, and gives us choices about phrases that might be better when we try to offer comfort and support.
I recommend this book for all readers and book clubs that have an interest in discussing the topics.


View all my reviews

No comments: