About Me

My photo
I'm a reader who enjoys posting comments and recommendations about the books I read. You will not find a synopsis with my recommendations because you can just click on the book title for a link to www.goodreads.com for a synopsis and reviews by other readers. I prefer the 3 Reason format: the reason I chose to read it; the reason I liked (or disliked) the book; and the reason I recommend it.

Monday, May 07, 2012

The Journal of Best Practices: A Memoir of Marriage, Asperger Syndrome, and One Man's Quest to Be a Better HusbandThe Journal of Best Practices: A Memoir of Marriage, Asperger Syndrome, and One Man's Quest to Be a Better Husband by David Finch
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This displayed book caught my attention because my daughter once worked with children with autism. I also enjoyed the books by Temple Grandin. The author David Finch was not diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome until the fifth year of his marriage, and that diagnosis helped explain some of his behaviors that annoyed his wife and would have bewildered neurotypicals who had to work with him or socialize with him.
This book expands on a published article, and it can hold the interest of a reader until the end of the book.
I recommend this book to all readers with the caveat that just because your husband overlooks laundry that needs to be folded and put away, it does not meet the diagnosis criteria of Asperger Syndrome. Sometimes, better communication is all every marriage needs.

View all my reviews

No comments: