About Me

My photo
I'm a reader who enjoys posting comments and recommendations about the books I read. You will not find a synopsis with my recommendations because you can just click on the book title for a link to www.goodreads.com for a synopsis and reviews by other readers. I prefer the 3 Reason format: the reason I chose to read it; the reason I liked (or disliked) the book; and the reason I recommend it.

Sunday, December 15, 2013

Life at the Speed of Light: From the Double Helix to the Dawn of Digital LifeLife at the Speed of Light: From the Double Helix to the Dawn of Digital Life by J. Craig Venter
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I read Life at the Speed of Light: From the Double Helix to the Dawn of the Digital Life after I watched an interview with J. Craig Venter on an episode of Charlie Rose.

I was fascinated by how much has occurred in DNA and genome research, especially in the last three years, so I kept reading even though some of the text gets bogged down when credit is given to the labs and scientists working in the related fields. Reading also got tough when I stumbled over the names of the viruses and bacterias used in the experiments. Venter does his best to frequently summarize and to use analogies to explain things to those readers outside this field. The remaining chapters describe what he thinks will be possible whenever our technology is able to keep pace with the theoretical such as using electromagnetic senders and receivers (life replicators) and some possibilities of applications.

I recommend this to ALL readers.

View all my reviews

No comments: