About Me

My photo
I'm a reader who enjoys posting comments and recommendations about the books I read. You will not find a synopsis with my recommendations because you can just click on the book title for a link to www.goodreads.com for a synopsis and reviews by other readers. I prefer the 3 Reason format: the reason I chose to read it; the reason I liked (or disliked) the book; and the reason I recommend it.

Saturday, March 21, 2015

Why Good People Can't Get Jobs: The Skills Gap and What Companies Can Do About ItWhy Good People Can't Get Jobs: The Skills Gap and What Companies Can Do About It by Peter Cappelli
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This book was free from Barnes and Noble when I downloaded it to my Nook library. I wanted suggestions to help the good people I know who are frustrated about not being able to find jobs or better jobs, There were some suggestions for employers, such as, provide more training or apprenticeships; be willing to grant more interviews of nearly qualified people; and be careful with the qualifications you use for criterion in the hiring software. There seemed to be fewer suggestions for job-seekers. One suggestions is not to quit a job before you find the next one because the gap on your resume looks bad to the hiring software.
I learned about "Home Depot Syndrome," the tendency to think of workers as replaceable parts that plug into the business machine, and "searching for the unicorn," when managers pile all the credentials and expertise into the job description to minimize the risk that the candidate will fail, making it virtually impossible to find anyone who fits.
I recommend the book to business managers so they may take a second look at what they need in an applicant. I think this book would only frustrate job-seekers.

View all my reviews

No comments: