About Me

My photo
I'm a reader who enjoys posting comments and recommendations about the books I read. You will not find a synopsis with my recommendations because you can just click on the book title for a link to www.goodreads.com for a synopsis and reviews by other readers. I prefer the 3 Reason format: the reason I chose to read it; the reason I liked (or disliked) the book; and the reason I recommend it.

Saturday, May 09, 2015

Presenting to WinPresenting to Win by Jerry Weissman
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Presenting to Win was downloaded to my Nook library when Barnes and Noble offered it for free in October 2012.  It uses PowerPoint 2003 and 2007 in its examples.  PowerPoint 2013 is likely to adapt to those instructions.
Weissman wants us to strongly remember the phrase, a presentation is not a document.  The speaker needs more than Word to write a speech and PowerPoint for the graphics.  He wants the speaker to be an audience advocate so that your message gets through to the audience before their eyes glaze over. Another important topic is the necessity of verbalizing your speech in practice, not simply disembodiment or mumbling. Linkages are meaningful verbal transitions from one slide to the next.
Sometimes, the reader may think Weissman slows down too much, and this may be an indication Weissman is using spaced learning for a purpose.  If you don't have the time for spaced learning, read the highlights from the last chapter, Appendix A and Appendix B.
I recommend it to all who are required to give presentations.  


View all my reviews

No comments: