About Me

My photo
I'm a reader who enjoys posting comments and recommendations about the books I read. You will not find a synopsis with my recommendations because you can just click on the book title for a link to www.goodreads.com for a synopsis and reviews by other readers. I prefer the 3 Reason format: the reason I chose to read it; the reason I liked (or disliked) the book; and the reason I recommend it.

Sunday, January 20, 2013

First, There Is a River: Book One in the Spirit of the River SeriesFirst, There Is a River: Book One in the Spirit of the River Series by Kathy Steffen
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This book was downloaded to my Nook library as a Free Friday selection from Barnes and Noble.
The historical setting of communities along the Ohio river and of the steamboat Spirit of the River was what I enjoyed most about this book. The author acknowledges her thanks to Ohio River Museum and National Mississippi River Museum. My 3-star, or average, rating is due to author's depiction of her characters in a historical romance for despite her efforts to make them different, the characters still felt too much like stereotypes often associated with this genre: victimized heroine and damaged suitor. When the author does try to push them beyond the stereotypes, the characters almost feel too modern during their interior monologues.

I recommend this book to readers who enjoy the historical romance genre.

View all my reviews

No comments: