About Me

My photo
I'm a reader who enjoys posting comments and recommendations about the books I read. You will not find a synopsis with my recommendations because you can just click on the book title for a link to www.goodreads.com for a synopsis and reviews by other readers. I prefer the 3 Reason format: the reason I chose to read it; the reason I liked (or disliked) the book; and the reason I recommend it.

Wednesday, April 01, 2015

Pension Games: Bad Decisions and Backroom Deals in Illinois' Public Pension SystemPension Games: Bad Decisions and Backroom Deals in Illinois' Public Pension System by Chicago Tribune
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This was free when I downloaded it from Barnes and Noble to my Nook library.
Its stated purpose is"...establishing how lawmakers rigged the Illinois pension code to benefit a chosen few, then demonstrating how the system as a whole was abused time and again for short-term political gains, leaving the state's pension fund in the worst shape by far in the country."
This book can be a bit boring for an outsider as repetitive phrases are used throught the book, "...to receive nearly $XX million dollars during their expected lifetimes..." and "...the required contributions did not keep pace with higher payouts."
This book ends in 2012 and the pensions may not be fixed yet. It is enough to make taxpayers cynical.


View all my reviews

No comments: