About Me

My photo
I'm a reader who enjoys posting comments and recommendations about the books I read. You will not find a synopsis with my recommendations because you can just click on the book title for a link to www.goodreads.com for a synopsis and reviews by other readers. I prefer the 3 Reason format: the reason I chose to read it; the reason I liked (or disliked) the book; and the reason I recommend it.

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

From Dictatorship to DemocracyFrom Dictatorship to Democracy by Gene Sharp

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I had trouble with the download of this book showing up in my first edition Nook. A call to customer service helped me put it on my Nook for PC so that I could read what I purchased. They said it was a formatting problem. The problem must be fixed, for several days later after I updated my library again, the book appeared on my Nook.

I watched a documentary on Current TV about the work of Gene Sharp, and I wanted to read this book of his because it seemed to have influence the news of April Arab uprisings in 2011. He suggests the best stategy to go from dictatorship to democracy is the removal of power from the dictatorship through nonviolent resistance and political defiance. Armed conflict often destoys the infrastructure that the people will need. There has to be a grand strategy so that a democratic government is ready to make its transition so that another dictatorship does not come to power during the struggle.

I recommend this book to all for it reminds us that we must continue to participate in our own democratic institutions in our local, state and federal levels to keep them open and strong due to the participation of many. I recommend this book to students of history.


View all my reviews

No comments: