About Me

My photo
I'm a reader who enjoys posting comments and recommendations about the books I read. You will not find a synopsis with my recommendations because you can just click on the book title for a link to www.goodreads.com for a synopsis and reviews by other readers. I prefer the 3 Reason format: the reason I chose to read it; the reason I liked (or disliked) the book; and the reason I recommend it.

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Wilderness Empire (Winning of America)Wilderness Empire by Allan W. Eckert

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I rate this book with 5 stars for the work that Eckert has done in writing his series, "The Winning of America." He takes historical facts and builds a narrative so that I may understand the people and their choices that explains the French, the English and the Indians from July 23, 1715-July 11, 1774. In addition to the narrative, Eckert provides his Principal Sources, Chapter Notes, List of Indian Characters, and an Index.

The main character is the Irishman William Johnson who came to America for a job as the agent of his uncle and who was adopted into the Mohawk tribe as a full member and a member of the Iroquois League. The setting is the land west of the Hudson River and along the Great Lakes. These lands will become what we know as New York, western Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, and Michigan.

I rate this book V for Violence for Eckert describes what happens to captives taken during raids and battles. He describes the battle injuries which maimed and killed officers and chiefs. It can also have a U rating for Unhealthy for there were many fevers and dysentery. It is not a book to be read while you eat your lunch.

This is an excellent book for adult students of history.


View all my reviews

No comments: