About Me

My photo
I'm a reader who enjoys posting comments and recommendations about the books I read. You will not find a synopsis with my recommendations because you can just click on the book title for a link to www.goodreads.com for a synopsis and reviews by other readers. I prefer the 3 Reason format: the reason I chose to read it; the reason I liked (or disliked) the book; and the reason I recommend it.

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

You Can Do It!: The Merit Badge Handbook for Grown-Up GirlsYou Can Do It!: The Merit Badge Handbook for Grown-Up Girls by Lauren Catuzzi Grandcolas

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I looked for this book for I watched an interview with a sister of the author on Veria TV. The two sisters saw this book through publishing after the death of the author on United Flight 93 on September 11, 2001.

I liked the idea of using this book as a catalog of 59 merit badges as a starting point to accomplish something new with a mentor and enough small steps in order to feel as if you had a good introduction to a new activity. Even in those areas in which I already earned a merit badge, this book provided some new information. I learned new ways to remove a stuck wine label from its bottle. There are some new website resources to checkout. If you don't find a badge for a area that resonates with you, you can Make-Your-Own in six steps:
  • 1. Envision it.
  • 2.Write down the payoffs.
  • 3.Find your mentor.
  • 4.Interview your mentor.
  • 5.Do your homework, and research your badge.
  • 6.Plan your steps to create your badge.
Now Do It.

I recommend this book for women who are looking for a new area of adventure or for a way to prove their accomplishments with a tangible merit badge.



View all my reviews

No comments: