About Me

My photo
I'm a reader who enjoys posting comments and recommendations about the books I read. You will not find a synopsis with my recommendations because you can just click on the book title for a link to www.goodreads.com for a synopsis and reviews by other readers. I prefer the 3 Reason format: the reason I chose to read it; the reason I liked (or disliked) the book; and the reason I recommend it.

Monday, October 05, 2009

Books I Read in 1983

In 1983 I missed being praised for reading assigned books. I had a list of classic books and contemporary classics I wanted to read and discuss with well-read, articulate people. I looked for challenging reads to enhance my learning about writing in a creative manner. I remember saying I thought clearly written non-fiction could express ideas better than fiction. That statement came before I read Being and Nothingness side by side with The French Lieutenant's Woman.
I stand corrected.
Books I Read in 1983
1. Flanagan’s Run by Tom McNab
2. Mantissa by John Fowles
3. The French Lieutenant’s Woman by John Fowles
4. Man’s Fate by Andre Malraux
5. Being and Nothingness by Jean Paul Satre
6. Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert Pirsig
7. The Way to Write by John Fairfax and John Moat
8. Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis
9. Couples by John Updike
10. The Italian Girl by Iris Murdoch
11. Megatrends by John Naisbitt
12. The Thirty-nine Steps by John Buchan
13. Icebreaker by John E. Gardner
14. The Youngest Science by Lewis Thomas
15. Writing the Natural Way by Gabriele Lusser Rico
16. Tristam Shandy by Laurence Sterne
17. The Rhetoric of Fiction by Wayne C. Booth
18. On Becoming A Novelist by John Gardner
19. In Search of Excellence by Thomas J. Peters
20. Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson
21. Return of the Native by Thomas Hardy


For more information about the books on my shelf, please follow the link to my 1983 bookshelf on goodreads.com

my 1983 bookshelf



No comments: