About Me

My photo
I'm a reader who enjoys posting comments and recommendations about the books I read. You will not find a synopsis with my recommendations because you can just click on the book title for a link to www.goodreads.com for a synopsis and reviews by other readers. I prefer the 3 Reason format: the reason I chose to read it; the reason I liked (or disliked) the book; and the reason I recommend it.

Sunday, August 08, 2010

Crater Lake, 27July 2010, Cleetwood Cove Trail and Boat Tour


I have been apprehensive for several days as we planned to hike 2 ½ strenuous hikes between 8:30 A.M. and 4:30 P.M. The ½ hike would be the hike down the Cleetwood Cove Trail where we would take a boat ride to Wizard Island. While on Wizard Island, we wanted to hike both the Wizard Summit Trail and Fumarole Bay Trail before the last boat of the day left at 4:30 P.M. I did not worry about the hike up Cleetwood Cove, even though its description says it is the equivalent of 67 flights of stairs. I’m not worried about how long I might need to walk back up the trail because I would have about 3 hours of daylight plus my flashlight.
When we picked up our reserved tickets that morning, we were disappointed at the news we would have to be picked up at 1:30, for there would be no 4:30 pick-up due to predicted thunderstorms. The previous day, thunderstorms and lightning strikes had 40 people trying to get off the island on the early pick-up. Right now, our trip will have a 9:55 departure and a 1:30 pick-up. Maybe we can still hike the Wizard Summit trail to hike around the 90-foot crater at its summit.
We enjoyed the hike down Cleetwood Cove Trail where gravity was a big help. At the bottom at the boat dock, a sign was posted that our trip to Wizard Island was cancelled due to predicted weather conditions. NOooo!
We waited until the time of our tour when the captain and ranger-naturalist accommodated us with the 2-hour tour of Crater Lake.
Ranger Madelyn Rose told the story of Oregon Rose and the Temple of Boom while she directed our attention to the sights around the crater walls.
We stayed at Cleetwood Cove for awhile, watching daredevils jump into Crater Lake. We got our feet wet before we hiked out. It was a steep climb but we had plenty of water and digital space for photos when I rested.
Click Crater Lake, 27July 2010, Cleetwood Cove Trail and Boat Tour for more photos.

No comments: