About Me

My photo
I'm a reader who enjoys posting comments and recommendations about the books I read. You will not find a synopsis with my recommendations because you can just click on the book title for a link to www.goodreads.com for a synopsis and reviews by other readers. I prefer the 3 Reason format: the reason I chose to read it; the reason I liked (or disliked) the book; and the reason I recommend it.

Sunday, August 29, 2010

The Manitou and Pikes Peak Railway, Pikes Peak



Our son's family rode this train on their visit to Colorado in July. They enjoyed it so much they recommended it to us. The weather was perfect to keep the skies as clear as it was for our trip. The temperature was 30 degrees cooler at the peak than in Manitou Springs, and we had our jackets with us.
The view from Pikes Peak does make you want to sing America the Beautiful whose lyricist was inspired by the view of this Front Range to the grainfields of Kansas.
The doughnuts made at Summit House have been extolled by the Food Network. We ate a warm one on the way down and saved some others for later. We had to eat a piece of their other specialty, fudge, while we were at the altitude of 14,110 feet for their fudge has no caloric effect at that altitude.

Click The Manitou to view 56 more photos.

No comments: